[Ansteorra] question on ceramics and its history

prudencecurious at netscape.net prudencecurious at netscape.net
Sat Sep 24 11:04:40 PDT 2005

While slip was used throughout period for painting items, most items were either wheel thrown or hand pinched.

But you may want to investigate Pots and People: that have shaped the heritage of medieval and later England by Maureen Mellor (a publication of the Ashmolean Museum) because on page 35 in figure 43 is a "Moulded Rhenish stoneware Schnelle, made in Siegburg, Germany with an inscription "Judit ano 1572"..."  I believe the inscription is referring to a date for the molded picture and not the creation date, but this book is a wonderful small resource for starting a ceramic library.  It is available from $12 to $35 through Bookfinder.com.  Not being a ceramicist myself, I get lost in all the terms of stonewear, tinwear and the like.  Maybe it can help you.

If you are interested in documenting painting with slip, World Ceramics: An illustrated history edited by Robert J Charleston could be useful.  It can likewise be found through bookfinder.com from $10.00 to $125.

You might want to see if you can get either book through interlibrary loan to see if they actually have the information you seek.

Prudence the Curious