[Ansteorra] Re: gas prices too high...sorry had to sharethis

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Wed Apr 26 18:28:18 PDT 2006

Easy.  I'll give you an example.

Three Kings is 300 miles away from my house.  600 miles round trip.  In my truck (necessary to pull my trailer and gear) i get around 10 mpg, and it will take 60 gallons to get there and back.  Cost is approximately $3 per gallon, so $180 in Gas.  I can fit four people in the truck, so each of us pay around $45.  Not too bad.

My minivan gets 25 mpg (although it's getting better), so will use 24 gallons of gas, costing $72.  Not only that, I can fit 5 people in the minivan (cramped but doable) for a non-camping event (unless all of them are fighters).  With a $50 hotel room for two nights (doable) the total is $172.  With 5 people though, I only pay $34.50.

Result: I save money, and spend less time setting up camp.

Bad side?  You really lose a lot of the fun of the event if you hotel, especially if you happen to be riding with introverts who have a tendency to head back to the hotel earlier.

OACSBRN, you're earlier emails about "capping the cost of gas at $1 per gallon" aren't really that smart in the long run.  With the cost of crude at $70 per barrel, and only 45 gallons per barrel, the RAW MATERIAL costs more than $1 per gallon.  American employees work for those companies, and those employees would eventually lose their jobs when those companies went out of business.

We've got to suck it up.

Jean Paul

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.