[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers

Elizabeth Blackthorne damsle_n_distress2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 11:52:48 PDT 2006

I can tell you why I personally didn't want hold an office:
1.  I don't like playing politics- I'm not interested in doing good things as a group so that we are "seen", I just want our group to do good things.  I don't care who takes the credit for the good things.  I don't want involved in other groups dynamics and problems.  I don't want my Opinions to be more than what they are.

2.  There is so much paper-work, and so many silly rules.  Being an officer means that sometimes you have to put a damper on everyone's fun, because it can't be done "legally", or as an officer you have to hunt down the "loop holes" so it can be done legally.

3.  Reporting- I do not EVER want to be Exchequer because this report is a pain.  I know how to do it because as the Seneschal I should, but I NEVER want to have to do it.  Many of the other offices have easy on-line reports now, but even these seem redundant.  Why does every officer have to report the same stuff as the Seneschal?

4.  There are people that I really don't want to have my personal information such as email, street address, and phone number.  Most of these people are mundanes but the fact they they might get a hold of a Blackstar and gain this info is scarry.  Then I have an email that is on our website that any one could get to.  So I use that as my sca only email, if you check out the profile on it, it will say my SCA name as my name with out any other info.  My Blackstar protection though, nothiong can be done.  I just have to trust that those who have it, will not just give it out.

5.  I personally like being in charge, but for a while, I was too afraid of messing up.  I was really good at doing what is asked of me, but didn't know enough about what needs to be done to do the asking.

I think one of our biggest problems is that in so many of our groups as soon as we get a new member, we have an office for them, or make them deputies.  We don't just give them time to just play.  Once someone actually sees, and is a part of, our dream they will do what it takes to keep it alive.  That includes taking offices.  When we thrust newbies into the politics and offices we either run them off, or make the kind of players that tear apart groups.

In my opinion, No One who has been playing less than 2 years should be allowed to hold an office at all.  Someone should also have just attended at least three events before being put in charge of something at an event.  Maybe this way we could keep the newbies we attract.

Faelan Caimbeul <faelancaimbeul at gmail.com> wrote: Why do we have a problem finding officers?

Are people just not interested? If so, why? Are they scared of
responsibility or failure? Is real life prohibiting them? If we're going to
solve the problem, we first need to figure out what exactly the problem is.

Any comments?

Faelan