[Ansteorra] RE: ... and a subject change...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 28 20:26:29 PDT 2006

Emma commented:
> When my oldest was 2 or so, she abruptly stopped wanting to drink
> from her
> sippy cup at events. She kept grabbing at my mug. Took me a while
> to figure
> out that she wanted her own mug! I managed to find a small child-sized
> pottery mug with a nice handle,

Take note, pottery merchants. :-)

> and she toddled around with that thing full
> of water for the next several years until it met an untimely end on a
> concrete floor.

Several years? Wow. Your toddler is much better with a pottery mug
than many adults. My wife's mugs usually have a lifetime of only a
year or two. And mine, well, I gave up using pottery feast gear a
long time ago. Pewter has temperature problems, but it doesn't
shatter. :-)

> Camping at events can be a chore during setup and take down, and is
> when a
> portable playpen comes in most handy, unless you have lots of extra
> hands. I
> am still tied to the tent at night (kids won't fall asleep without mom
> nearby), and so the most going out I get to do is to sit right
> outside the
> door. In case of the occasional screaming fit,...

Yes, but if you camp far enough away from the party areas, the drunks
and any screaming fits shouldn't be a problem...

> At bare minimum, when daytripping, we always bring the wagon, a few
> bottles
> of water (easier than bugging the waterbearers), animal crackers,
> mugs, and
> the must-have blankies. (And garb, of course.)  OH and spare
> diapers. Stash
> some in the car just in case!

I've heard folks talk about keeping a set of clothes in a plastic bag
in the car before just in case all your garb and clothes in camp gets
soaked. I guess some diapers in the car would work too. Although it
might cause even more of a stir when you go into a filling station on
the way home than wearing the garb would... :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com