[Ansteorra] Re: gas prices too high...sorry had to share this

Cairenn Day cpenny at swbell.net
Fri Apr 21 12:57:48 PDT 2006

Opening ANWAR will not do much to reduce prices.  It take at least ten
years to get oil out of it.  There are many reasons the gas is so high,
the main reason is that there is more demand.  With emerging economies,
like those in China and India, there is a big increase in the demand.
Prices in the past, in the US, were ridiculously TOO cheap.  That
encouraged us to buy many larger gas guzzlers, which increased our
consumption.
The higher gas prices hurt me a lot, especially since, my little Escort
wagon (27 mph) died and I replaced it with a Windstar van (19-20 mph,
with a tailwind!), last Nov.  I consider all of my trips across town,
try to combine errands and I intend to try to pick up a smaller, more
efficient car for around town.  I never expect to see gas at less than
$2 a gallon.  That is just unreasonable.  Since Rupert and I both have
geology backgrounds, we have felt that the US 'was cruising for a
bruising' with our cheap gas.
If there had been more investment in alternative energy sources, after
the 70's gas crisis, we would not be facing the rapid price increase,
that we are now.  The next few years will be hard.
By the way, there are plugged wells that are being redrilled (sometimes
to another producing horizon) here in the US.  It is now reasonable to
do this.  Forty to sixty dollar a barrel oil, will increase the supply.
I'm not saying that the Oil companies are not taking advantage of the
situation, they are, but that is business.  There have been many very
lean years for them.  Talk to anyone that  has been employed by them.
Enough of my soap box. I just had to add a little reality to all the the
gripping.

Cairenn, the Howling Artist