[Ansteorra] RE: ... and a subject change...

Chris Zakes moondrgn at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 27 18:15:17 PDT 2006

At 09:48 AM 4/27/2006, you wrote:

(snip)

>Otherwise, we use a giant wooden wagon most heavily. Early on we invested in
>the Radio Flyer ATW wagon, wood sides and a weight limit of 250lbs. When
>it's not hauling our stuff, it's hauling kids, or serving as a bed for the
>youngest for naptime or at night. I even change diapers on it. It's padded
>with a quilted sleep mat that rolls up for storage. The oldest has finally
>outgrown it (just in time for the youngest to switch to it, which we're
>working on...)  It was expensive, but probably the best baby-gear purchase
>we've ever made. Plus, it's a toy!

I'll second that. Particularly for big events like Pennsic or Gulf War, a
wagon is *very* useful. We used ours to haul kids, ice, fighting gear, ice
chests, etc. Done carefully, you can perch a kid on top of (for example) an
ice chest with other gear packed around it--they get a fun ride, you get
everything there in one trip.

(more snippage)

>The HARDEST thing I've ever had to deal with was bottle-feeding.
>(Breast-feeding is sooooo much more portable!) I always brought my own
>bottled water, liners, and powdered formula, and just reused the same bottle
>and nipple over and over (being sure to rinse it out good). Ugh. Luckily
>both my kids took room-temp water, so I never had to figure out how to warm
>a bottle or keep one cold or anything like that.

About a month after our oldest was born, I made a leather bottle carrier
with a snap-hook--one of the best ideas I've ever had. That way the bottle
can be mounted on a belt or clipped to the diaper bag; it's right there
when you need it, but out of the way when you don't.

         -Tivar Moondragon