[Ansteorra] The real problem . . .

elizabeth at crouchet.com elizabeth at crouchet.com
Fri Apr 28 09:09:19 PDT 2006

This is a sign of a population problem. Lately it has been brought to our attention that
despite what it feels like our numbers at the Corporate level have remained steady, not
dropped.

But it is obvious that a stagnant population is not working. We do need to recruit, we need
to grow. Our population centers are growing, we should be keeping up. We need new blood
and new people and if we truly have anything to offer then they need us, too.

He is right that when the mix is right principalities will happen. I believe they will when our
population is both big enough and diverse enough for it. We have some regional differences
but even now they are still minor. When a region (not necessarily an SCA defined region)
developes it's own identity it will move in the direction of what it needs.

Moonschadowe is an example of a region with an identity that formally recognized it's
differences. They were not sufficient differences with sufficient needs to form a principality
so they formed what they did need. I believe the process will be much the same for any
principality when it happens. And when it happens it will be a good thing and not cause
such rancor because it will be time.

I can see it coming and I choose sit back and wait on that. At the same time I am trying to
figure out how to get new people in to share what it is we all do and spend so much time
and effort on.

Yes we need to recruit, but how and where? We need to recruit "adults with lives and/or
kids", but not just underage kids like we get at school demos (which have another use).

I am open to ideas. New thread: Recruiting demo ideas.

Claire

On 27 Apr 2006 at 21:49, Chris Fisher wrote:

> Two of the main qualifications for ANY group of ANY size are that it must
> have a steady population, and MUST have its officer positions filled to be
> in line with Kingdom Law and Corpora. I know, at least in my Barony, there
> are a lot of old hats that have been keeping things going for some time, and
> are tired. Some, I fear, do it only out of duty because no-one else is
> stepping up. "I'll do it if no-one else will" is a sure sign of duty. I've
> said that very thing myself before.

Lots of good stuff snipped