[Ansteorra] Demos important, but what about after?

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 13:23:26 PDT 2006

Contance has some great ideas!  I love you enthusiasm!

  One thing I would add.  This is REALLY important. And this is for everyone, not just hospitalers.

  When newcomers come to an event (after we all make the effort of finding them at a demo) please welcome them.  Smile and say hello, engage them in conversation, let just a few minutes be about them and their needs.  It makes a big difference.  Even just saying "Hello" and "how are you?" is great!

  I must brag about a few who do a great job of this . HE Baron Armand did an outstanding job of making a newcomer feel welcomed this past weekend at Elfsea Springfaire.  He took some time out of his busy schedule and asked her how she was enjoying her day, then asked what she liked about the SCA so far, etc.  HE Ameline jumped in at some point as well and there was a great conversation.  Just simple questions really, but do a lot to make a newcomer feel welcome and important.  This was the same way they both treated me a few years ago at a Glaslyn event, and one of the main reasons (along with Catalina and Osana - thank you) that I started to play in the SCA again.  Thank you, your Excellencies!

  So it is important to plant the seed, but a seed must have a place to grow as well.

  Just my two cents
  Lady Katheryn Cunningghame
  Steppes Hospitaler