[Ansteorra] The real problem ?

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Fri Apr 28 14:55:53 PDT 2006

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but why point the finger at one
group of gentles or another? In a matter of speaking, it is everyone's
responsibility to recruit and keep new people. I hear talk of Demos,
lectures,  charitable works (Angel Tree, anyone?) and so forth which are all
well and good. BUT what happens after someone joins? Do you send them on
their way... relegate them to some obscure corner?   NO! You have to
"nurture" your newbies... help them find their niche in the SCA. Offer them
a ride to the next event or even the next Populace Meeting. If you're a
fighter, teach them your favorite "trick" shot. Invite them over to sample
your latest mead or to the local Stitch n B*tch. It's not enough to attract
new people... you have to make them feel welcome, make them feel a part of
the family.

But whatever you do, DON'T pull them aside and start telling them how "Lord
Rhino" won't acknowledge blows or cast doubts upon their own or another
individual's aspirations. Be positive... be a force for good... there will
be plenty of time for them to learn the politics later (unfortunately).

Then, if they don't remain, you can console yourself in the fact that you
did your best.

Ld Edrei the Quiet
(mka David Backlin)
Merchant and Adventurer