[Ansteorra] Elizabethan headcovering question

Susan catmafia at hughes.net
Fri Aug 4 07:00:06 PDT 2006

Recently we've been watching several Shakespeare movies.  In two of
Zepherelli's I noticed the young woman wearing something I've never
really seen before and was curious if it was correct and what it is
called.  It was Ophelia in Hamlet and Juliet in the tomb in Romeo and
Juliet.  It looks like a very abreviated coif and was embroidered in
Hamlet and beaded with pearls in R&J.  It was made of two pieces sewn
together and went back over the crown, each was maybe 2"-3" and it went
from ear to ear.

Is there a webpage anywhere that evaluates the costuming of period
movies for accuracy?
Susan the Curious

ps. other movie recomendations are welcome

pps this is a great page that talks about visiting all of the locations
of the R&J, it is translated from Russian and the site in Russian has
some great paintings along with screencaps from the film,
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Picture/3520/location.html