[Ansteorra] PENNSIC NEWS BLACKOUT

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 05:16:09 PDT 2006

At 12:46 AM 8/14/2006, you wrote:

(snip)

>Greetings Again From Alina;
>
>I do not trust the board of directors considering the issue it a high
>priority. The BOD doesn't have a good track record. The populace
>deserve an explanation on the change.
>
>Again I Ask What Are They Hiding,
>Alina

Could you give some examples of the Board's "not having a good track record"?

In *my* experience, they are SCA folks just like the rest of us, and
are honestly trying to do what's best for the SCA. If they do
something stupid (like the brouhaha that happened about ten years
ago) it's usually because they followed bad advice from someone they trusted.

Personally, I would not be surprised if this was a decision by the
folks in charge at Pennsic, and the Board had nothing to do with it.
My best guess--and remember that this is *only* a guess--is that
someone raised the liability "what if we get sued?" bugaboo and the
Pennsic staff over-reacted. (It's equally possible that there *is* a
legitimate liability issue here--maybe the local laws have changed
since last year, for example--but that doesn't explain why the
Pennsic Mayor isn't answering questions, nor why it was changed in
the middle of the war.)

This kind of reminds me of the year when the Pennsylvania tax
authorities first noticed all the merchants at Pennsic, and they all
had to fill out Pennsylvania sales tax forms.

         -Tivar Moondragon