[Ansteorra] Carnivale

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Mon Aug 14 11:41:01 PDT 2006

In the Renaissance, the Doge of Venice decreed that carnivale could only be
celebrated between October 5 and Madri Gras.  So why are we celebrating
carnivale over Labor Day?

(a) Because we want to
(b) What they don't know, can't hurt us ;)

Come to Mid Summer Knight's Dream this Labor Day and help us celebrate
Italian Carnivale.

You want fighting? We've got fighting.  Choose from the Swiss Five tourney,
the Bear Pit Tourney, Tavern Games and the Fledgling Tourney.

Rapier? We've got Rapier, too. the Burning Ship Tourney, the Flux Tourney,
the Wheel of Death and presenting the first Kingdom of Gleann Abhann Youth
Rapier Tourney (!!)

You want classes? We have those, as well. Introduction to Italian Dance,
Intro to Italian Garb, Introduction to Calligraphy, Introduction to Button
Making, Herbal Skin Care, plus All the Tea in China: a discussion of the
history of tea (with samples).

We also have Arts & Sciences: Best Mask competition, Best Hat Competiton,
PLUS a Bardic Competition (sing for your supper-- and you'll get breakfast).

All this plus Siege Cooking (would you call this food fighting?),  the
Assassins Tourney and the ever popular Quest.

Don't forget to bring the kids! We have a plethora of classes to keep the
little monst, er, little ones busy (including a hayride). All classes are
Gleann Abhann Page School credible (incredible, no?).

And let's not forget feast. Toasted ravioli, stuffed mushrooms, Zupa
Toscana,  Blackberry Chicken, Roast Beef,  Focaccia bread and more!

If that's not enough, House Golden Panther will be sponsoring a fund raiser
lunch on Saturday. For a paltry $4 per person, you can sample such
delacacies as savory or shami-kebab meatballs, honeyed Indian chicken,
Kachumber salad, kheer and mango tea.

More? You still want more? How about merchants? Something to Bragg About,
All the Trimmings, Markplat von Otto and more!

STILL not satisfied? Come anyway. We have a few surprises planned as well
(no, I can't tell you. That would spoil the surprise).

For all this fun and excitement, you could expect to pay 50 dollars or more,
but through this limited time offer it can all be yours for the special low
price of $17 for Adults or $14 for childen (non-SCA members please add $3).
If you act now, you can get limited cabin space for an additional $5 per
bed. DON'T WAIT! Operators are standing by! Well, OK... not really. But our
lovely Reservationist  IS standing by ready to accept your reservations.

Please make checks payable to SCA Inc/ Shire of Smythkepe and send them to:

Sherry Hester  309 N Waldron Rd Ft Smith, AR 72903-1434   ATTN MSKD. Please
include SASE or e-mail address if you would like confirmation.

Please note: NO checks at Troll... Cash only, please!!

Site information: MSKD will be held at Rogers Scout Ranch near Ione, AR.
Please see our website for detailed directions.
http://www.smythkepe.org/mskd/info.htm

ALSO: Logan County, AR is currently under a Burn Ban. NO ground fires will
be permitted.

This is a Dry Site!!

And if you don't tell the Doge of Venice what we're doing, WE won't tell
either  ;)