[Ansteorra] PENNSIC NEWS BLACKOUT

Matthias the Brewer matthiasthebrewer at cox.net
Mon Aug 14 16:13:42 PDT 2006

But what if they have can openers?

-----Original Message-----
From: ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org [mailto:ansteorra-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Rod Jackson
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 4:10 PM
To: Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc.
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] PENNSIC NEWS BLACKOUT

And what is the first thing most EMTs try to do when treating an injury?  Take out a scissors and cut the clothes off!  I forsee lots of dull scissors and some scratched armor......

  Colin

kandace harris <thetexladi at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Greetings,

I would like too point out something that might have been over looked.

Most of our Chirurgeon are trained in "Mundane Life" as EMT's, Nurses, Dr's., etc. However,
with "SCAer" we run into a different set of things, like Armor .... There are injuries that sometimes we would not take off pieces of Armor....How would "non" SCAers know this without "Our" training on field injuries.
Just thinking that who ever made this decision might not have thought of that.

Why no one talked to our Chirurgeons is a VERY good Question.

Hope we get an answer soon before someone is treated and injured more because the "locals" were not properly trained to our way of life.

InService Always ,

Lady Kandyce

medicfem at aol.com wrote:
My only question is this...
I quote from the article,

" We typically have three medics and at least two EMTs (emergency medical technicians)” on duty at all times, said Lenhart. “There will be up to two or three physicians (at the Point) during daylight hours.”"

I have been a paramedic for 11 years, I have work huge events such as Lalapolooza and OzFest with no less that 40 staff EMTs and paramedics. Do you think that eight people during daylight hours can do the work of the hundreds of chirurgeons that go to Pennsic? And what about field chirurgeons?

And an EMS business does not do stand by for free, They must pay theior employees. So will this increase the gate price in coming years? The going rates in Texas is minumim $650 for 3 hours of stand by. Pennsic has set a presidence here. Will all wars expect to follow suit and at what cost to the participants?

I know we do not have answers right now, but I trust our Board of Directors is truely considering this issue a high priority. You do not change an organization a week into a major war.

In Sevice,

Lady Eleanora Elizabeth Caley

MKA: Penny Engelking LP