[Ansteorra] Word for Today: Ouachita

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Tue Aug 22 19:48:56 PDT 2006

Ouachita: from the Indian word "Washita" meaning "good hunting grounds".

Hunting for a good event this Labor Day weekend? How about the Italian
Carnival at Smythkepe's Mid-Summer Knight's Dream? Located at Ione, Arkansas
near the edge of the beautiful Ouachita Forest we offer something for nearly
everyone.

As in years past, we offer the best in Heavy Weapons & Rapier combat,  Arts
& Sciences competitions (including a Bardic competiton), Classes
(Introduction to Calligraphy, Introduction to Italian Dance, Introduction to
Button making and more), plus the ever-popular Smythkepe Quest.

If that's not enough, partake of our fine Italian feast featuring toasted
ravioli, stuffed mushrooms, roasted Italian beef, blackberry chicken, zupa
toscana and other delights to amaze and delight your palate.

This year, we also offer a Siege Cooking contest: can your cullinary skills
persude the enemy that your meager supplies can last through a long siege?

For those with an inclination for skullduggery we are pleased to present "Ye
Olde Assassin's Tourney.

Sound like fun? Of course it does! And there's a lot more planned than can
be mentioned in a simple on-line announcement. For more information, please
see our website at http://www.smythkepe.org/mskd.htm .

As of this writing, feast space is still available (and the "Kentucky Fried
Taco" is 20 minutes away). A *limited* number of cabin bed spaces are still
available, but going fast. Camping space, however is plentiful. There are
also 3 small motels within 20 minutes of the event site. Information is
available upon request.

In addition, House Golden Panther will be sponsoring a fund raiser lunch on
Saturday featuring:
    Savory meatballs
    Shami-kebab meatballs
    Honeyed Indian chicken
    Rice
    Kachumber salad
    Onion salad
    Kheer
    Mango tea

If nothing else, come peruse the wares of our merchants:
    Something to Bragg About
    Old World Merchants
    Joysain's Body Art
    Lady Alina's Willow
    Markplat von Otto
    All the Trimmings

What more could you ask for? Imagine all this for the paltry sum of only $17
for Adults or $14 for Children  including feast (non-SCA members please add
$3) !!  Cash only at Troll... no checks, please!

Please note: At this time, there is a Burn Ban on for Logan County,
Arkansas. No ground fires will be allowed. Please check for the latest
updates at the Troll Booth.

This is a Dry Site!

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds (actually, it won't: the Fire
Marshall says it can't because of the Burn Ban).