[Ansteorra] just read the link

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 18 16:17:47 PST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Lori Campbell wrote:

> Am I really hearing here that everyone is just fine with this
> seventeen
> year old kid posing with live steel as if the SCA actually supports
> the
> idea of children bearing (and using) real weapons of war? Sure, we
> understand the reality of the situation, but would any person off the
> street who is ignorant of what the SCA is, and what it does?
>
> - Kat MacLochlainn

Hi, Kat:

I started to not reply, but ultimately decided that silence could be
construed as consent, which would be incorrect in my case. For what
it's worth, I wouldn't be ok with a 17 year old kid playing with live
steel within an SCA context, because that is clearly against our
rules. (Wearing or posing is another matter. Almost all of us bear
arms that we would never use on a list field; e.g., a belt knife. I'm
perfectly ok with a 17 year old kid striking a dramatic pose with
Medieval arms and armor, for a photo to draw attention to his hobby.)

However, that has no bearing on this controversy, which is over
whether it's ok to include that photo in a school yearbook -- which
is arguably not so clearly against the rule being cited.

Whether that photo is an ideal representation of the SCA is a whole
'nother matter. :-)

Michael