[Ansteorra] just read the link

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:25:16 PST 2006

At 04:13 PM 12/19/2006, you wrote:
>Chiara Francesca wrote:
>
> >I have to agree with much of what the good Countess says.
> >
> >Come on folks, we are known as a fringe group already. Do you not
> >see how this is potentially more damaging than helping our image?
> >And yes, we are concerned about our image, it is what is used to
> >judge us when we try to get a new site for our events.
> >

>  >snip<
>
>Not aiming this at you but this seems a good chance to throw my two
>cents in as to where I see this discussion going.  Perhaps I missed
>something when I looked at  the picture, but I did not see "sanctioned
>by the SCA" printed anywhere on it.  True, some of the news reports
>mentioned that he was a member, but that does not give us an "in" to
>this situation.  This kid was not doing what he did as an official
>representative of the SCA, so what he did as a private citizen is not
>ours to control.   Suppose someone driving home from an event stops to
>have a few drinks after leaving the site while still in medieval
>clothing, then gets into an accident?  Will we all be calling on all
>people to start changing out of garb before leaving events on the chance
>that something they do might make the society look bad?

<shrug> A couple of years ago, an SCA member used his position in the
ministry of children to make connections with kids and gain the trust
of their parents. He later violated that trust by sexually abusing
some of the kids (in a non-SCA setting.) That's a *far* worse
situation that the current brouhaha, but there were (as far as I
know) no negative repercussions on the SCA. I rather doubt this minor
flap will cause us serious problems.

         -Tivar Moondragon