[Ansteorra] just read the link

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 18 13:14:29 PST 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Mahee wrote:

> Please take the idea of this picture to its extreme. Do not stop
> with the picture of just this student with two swords and chainmaille.
>
>   let anyone can wear anything...what can you imagine.
>   let anyone have weapons in their picture

Do they have a hockey team? Do they show any kids with hockey sticks?
(But wait, those are sports equipment.) What about kids who fence
competitively? Do they show them with their swords? (But wait, those
are sports equipment, too. Different sport, different equipment.)
What about kids in a play doing theatrical stage fencing? (But wait,
those are theatrical props, that's not the same thing as this
picture.) Isn't it the same? Why isn't it?

Where is the line?

For that matter, imagine a photo of a kid standing on a stage in the
middle of a play such as King Lear, sporting chainmaille and two
swords? If you put that photo side-by-side with the one in question,
how would you tell that one is ok to appear in the yearbook, and the
other one is not?

Where is the logic?

>   How stupid could someone get? Where could it go? What could the
> reprecutions in the school be? ... Sadly we can not stop people
> from doing stupid things.
>
>   servant to a group of 8th grade students,
>   mahee

Like Maria and others who have spoken, you make some good points, Mahee.

However, your argument still begs the central issue: the principal
cited a "no weapons in school" rule to forbid a photo (that included
Medieval weapons) from appearing in the yearbook. Except that no
weapons were in the school, so the "no weapons in school" rule seems
to not apply.

And except that he didn't forbid the photo from appearing in the
yearbook -- just not *for free*.

So we have not one, but *two* stupid (on the face of them) decisions
here.

Oh, and except that *other* images of weapons *do* appear in the
yearbook: notably the school mascot; and possibly images of a school
play that includes a fencing scene, or the school martial arts team,
or boxing team, or ROTC drill team, or other easily imagined display
of weapons (no evidence to say that's the case, but it's certainly
possible).

So make that *three* stupid decisions.

If the school wants to exert editorial supervision over what appears
in the yearbook (whether photos or text), that's probably a good
idea. To borrow your reasoning above, "what if you let students
*print* anything... what can you imagine?"

If the principal wants to exercise editorial control over the
yearbook, that's fine -- although I would personally be happier if
there were an editorial committee involved, and if there were a
process of review and appeal. (Even though in reality the principal
is king in his school, as anyone who's been around a school district
knows.) But at least be honest about it, and don't hide behind a rule
that arguably doesn't apply, and isn't being applied evenly in any
case. That's just stupid, and invites the very kind of controversy
that this incident has done.

To come back to the original point, though: this is *not* about "no
weapons in schools". It isn't even about "protecting students". It's
about stupidity in motion (on the part of the administration).

Respectfully,
Michael