[Ansteorra] just read the link

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Mon Dec 18 16:34:41 PST 2006

Yes.  I am just fine with a seventeen year old posing with a sword.
Growing up, there wasn't a kid I knew who couldn't lay his hands on a
gun within about fifteen minutes.  Yet despite that, nobody went around
shooting each other.  Before you say 'well times have changed', they
haven't changed that much.  I would argue that every kid out there can
still lay their hands on a knife, if not a gun, inside of 15 minutes.
Yes, we have our Columbine and other tragedies, however those are
exceptions and not the rule.  The vast majority of kids do not do those
things. What has changed is the culture of individual responsibility.
We have chosen to restrict everyone's rights, rather than segregate out
the kids who were not raised up with the values to avoid doing stupid
things.  If you are looking to change things, change the rules that
force a teacher to put up with disruptive kids, instead of having them
removed to join the other trouble makers.  Then, the teachers can go
back to teaching the kids who want to learn.
As for 'what the man on the street thinks', I don't really have a lot of
regard for the opinion of someone who won't bother to inform themselves
of what they are seeing.
 From a legal position, the facts as described give rise to the term
'arbitrary and capricious enforcement', and should be thrown out.

With regards,
Alexis

p.s. and yes, both my kids have shot guns and have steel weapons at
home, all without killing anyone.