[Ansteorra] just read the link

Galen Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 20 09:21:35 PST 2006

Chris Zakes wrote:

>>>snip<
>>
>>Not aiming this at you but this seems a good chance to throw my two
>>cents in as to where I see this discussion going.  Perhaps I missed
>>something when I looked at  the picture, but I did not see "sanctioned
>>by the SCA" printed anywhere on it.  True, some of the news reports
>>mentioned that he was a member, but that does not give us an "in" to
>>this situation.  This kid was not doing what he did as an official
>>representative of the SCA, so what he did as a private citizen is not
>>ours to control.   Suppose someone driving home from an event stops to
>>have a few drinks after leaving the site while still in medieval
>>clothing, then gets into an accident?  Will we all be calling on all
>>people to start changing out of garb before leaving events on the chance
>>that something they do might make the society look bad?
>>

><shrug> A couple of years ago, an SCA member used his position in the
>ministry of children to make connections with kids and gain the trust
>of their parents. He later violated that trust by sexually abusing
>some of the kids (in a non-SCA setting.) That's a *far* worse
>situation that the current brouhaha, but there were (as far as I
>know) no negative repercussions on the SCA. I rather doubt this minor
>flap will cause us serious problems.
>
>         -Tivar Moondragon

Your last line  is a large part of my point.   We cannot take it upon
ourselves to be the arbiter of whatever vaguely medieval things people
do outside of the SCA, even if thay happen to be members.  Most of the
time the flap is small and will have small consequences.  But as was
pointed out to em in an email, sometimes it may be more serious and have
no connection to us at all, but we will still get negative publicity
from it.  (From the ovwner of a potential site..."Didn't I read in the
papers about one of you guys running somebody through with a sword?.....
even though the referenced event had nothing to do with the SCA at
all.)  Basically..there are plenty of arguments both good and bad to be
made for and against having that student picture published in the
yearbook.   That it "might" make the SCA look bad is an extremely weak
one at best, and one I do not think we should advance.

Galen K.