[Ansteorra] Ansteorran themed food ...

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:08:30 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Squid ink pasta imbues pasta with a rich, savory taste of the sea that
matches well with lobster or shrimp. Saffron also goes well with crustaceans
(think paella) as long as you don't use too much, and the pasta in the photo
doesn't look to have too much saffron in it.

As for the cost, I'd guess $80 gets between 8 and 12 oz. Squid ink is
pricey--usually about $100 per oz. Besides, anything that comes from
Needless Markup is bound to be expensive.

If you want to be thrifty about it, striped pasta is pretty easy to make if
you have a pasta roller. I know of three fish mongers in Austin who can get
squid ink (you only need a few grams for a large patch of pasta). If you've
tried squid ink and you're firmly opposed to using it to get the black, you
can use huitlacoche (sometimes called Mexican corn truffle), but the cost of
ingredients will still be about the same.

Of course, you could always use food coloring, but enough coloring to make
the pasta truly black will also make it taste strongly of iron oxide.

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)