[Ansteorra] Cider yeast

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 24 21:45:28 PST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:01 PM, Susan wrote:

> james at crouchet.com wrote:
>> What is a good yeast for making hard cider? I assume someone here
>> will know.
>>
>> CD
> I've used Edme Beer yeast with good results.  Whitbread Ale yeast
> works well also.  Both of these are available at Austin Homebrew.
> http://www.austinhomebrew.com/
>
> Pug makes the best cider I've ever tasted.  Are you out there Pug?
> What do you use?
> Regards,
> Damaris

Well, the last batch I made happened accidentally when I made a
gallon of mulled cider for the revel after the baronies triple play
of events last year. When the revel was over, most of the cider was
left, so I poured it back into the gallon bottle the juice came in.
There wasn't room in the refrigerator, so I left it out and it
started bubbling, so I let it continue. So there are some decent
yeasts in the air or on/in the spices I was using.

I'm rather surprised to hear a ale or beer yeast suggested. I would
have opted for a wine or champagne yeast myself. But then, as I
mentioned, after four different attempts to make cider over the
years, the only one I got that was any good was an accident.:-)

Perhaps these two files in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium
might be of use:

cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-art.html
cider-msg         (72K)  7/ 1/04    Apple and other ciders. Cider
presses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cider-msg.html

Stefan
--------