[Ansteorra] Cider yeast

Donnchahd Beag mac Griogair donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us
Fri Feb 24 22:53:58 PST 2006

     I'm rather surprised to hear a ale or beer yeast suggested. I would
     have opted for a wine or champagne yeast myself.

   That just depends on how much residual sweetness you want in your
   cider.  If you use a wine or champagne yeast you will get a very dry
   cider (what some would call apple wine).  Where as if you use an ale
   or beer yeast you'll get a slightly sweet cider with an alcohol range
   more in line with a beer since the yeast will die off sooner.  I've
   always used M&F ale yeast.  From what I've read, the hardest part
   about cider making is getting the right blend of apples (sweet,
   astringent etc.)  I've tried using concentrated apple juice and it
   didn't work out very well (although it works great for cyser).
   In Service,
   Lord Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair
   Herald - Barony of Namron
   Honorable Brotherhood of Brewers, Mazers, and Vintners