[Ansteorra] Ticks at Coastal Invasion

Magister Galenus Ockhamnesis galen at chirurgeon.org
Sun Feb 26 17:29:36 PST 2006

>I'm sorry to inform everyone that ticks have been found on a few people from
>Coastal Invasion this past weekend in Seawinds. If you were at this event,
>please check yourself thoroughly for ticks. The type that have been found
>are very small, about the size of a pencil point, or poppy seed, and brown
>to black in color. They should be removed if found, however, I will leave it
>up to you to choose the removal method. (Googling Tick bites produces decent
>results).

Though Lyme disease isn't terribly common here along the gulf coast, it has
been found in Texas. The tick described could easily be the deer tick which
can carry Lyme, as well as several other diseases.

I have an article on the Chirurgeon's Point website on ticks
(http://www.chirurgeon.org/ticks.html) you can reference. Especially note
the removal instructions as there are a lot of urban legends on tick
removal that can cause more problems than they help.

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Magister Galenus Ockhamnesis
Friar Galen of Ockham, MC, OP