[Ansteorra] Ticks at Coastal Invasion

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 19:08:05 PST 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Magister Galenus Ockhamnesis wrote:
>> I'm sorry to inform everyone that ticks have been found on a few
>> people from
>> Coastal Invasion this past weekend in Seawinds. If you were at
>> this event,
>> please check yourself thoroughly for ticks. The type that have
>> been found
>> are very small, about the size of a pencil point, or poppy seed,
>> and brown
>> to black in color. They should be removed if found, however, I
>> will leave it
>> up to you to choose the removal method. (Googling Tick bites
>> produces decent
>> results).
>
> Though Lyme disease isn't terribly common here along the gulf
> coast, it has been found in Texas. The tick described could easily
> be the deer tick which can carry Lyme, as well as several other
> diseases.
>
> I have an article on the Chirurgeon's Point website on ticks
> (http://www.chirurgeon.org/ticks.html) you can reference.
> Especially note the removal instructions as there are a lot of
> urban legends on tick removal that can cause more problems than
> they help.
>

> In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
> Galen
>
> Magister Galenus Ockhamnesis
> Friar Galen of Ockham, MC, OP
> Chirurgeon's Point: http://www.chirurgeon.org

For those that might be interested, there is also this article by
Baron Dur of Hidden Mountain in the SCA-CAMPING section of the
Florilegium:

ticks-art          (9K)  1/24/92    Article on tick prevention.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/ticks-art.html

 From this article:
======
Prevention (and education) is the best medicine that can be
proscribed to combat these fiends.  As they tend to concentrate
along paths frequented by potential hosts, appropriate attire is
the first line of defense.  Long sleaves, trousers, boots, and a
hat are strongly recommended.  Ticks initially crawl into a
person's clothes and not the skin.  It will then search for an
exposed area on the victims body.

It takes a tick about two hours to get oriented on the victim.
Then, it will generally move to head, underarms, waist or groin
as feeding sites.  Repellents applied to the skin will discourage
them from attaching themselves.  From experience, some
repellants will cause feeding ticks to detach, and they may
simply be washed off.

Man is not a natural host for these villans.  However, children
tend to be at risk, as they like to play in areas generally
inhabited by these pests.  Parents would be wise to regularly and
often inspect their kinder so that they may not suffer overlong.
========

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas