[Ansteorra] Province

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Sun Jan 22 19:42:06 PST 2006

In gentle response to several points brought up...

Don Alden wrote a great many things, presumably "tongue in cheek", although
they certainly came out a great deal more vindictive than I hope he meant. I
will not address his entire message on a point-by-point basis, but I would
invite him to come visit Mooneschadowe some time when he is able to make the
long journey. I am sure he would have a good time, and hopefully be
impressed by the hard work and study towards the Middle Ages that our group
does. It is true that since we are a college town that a great many of our
members get a good footing, and then move away only to achieve their Laurel
or Pelican or Knighthood in another more urban group. This does not mean
that those of us remaining in Mooneschadowe at the moment are all partying
college kids. On the contrary, rather. (And, for the record, I've been a
herald practically since I started playing -- about six years now. I had my
group heraldically cowed into registering their names and devices long
before I became a big-H Herald at the Kingdom level.)

There are many reasons why we chose to go for Province instead of Barony,
and while "the evil hat race" was certainly a consideration, it was by far
not the only one. If that were all, we certainly would not have gotten the
approval from Kingdom or the BoD.

Baroness Ameline DuBois wrote:
> Moonshadowe is a fun group and this may be their answer. I
> just hope it isn't the answer to most new groups in the future.

Indeed, and to help ensure not, the Kingdom has written into law that
Provinces must maintain a membership count of 50 -- not 25 like Baronies
must.

Emma de Fetherstan
Asterisk Herald