[Ansteorra] RE: Moonshadowe's new Province status

Robert & Tara Brinsfield trbrins at fullnet.net
Mon Jan 23 08:02:39 PST 2006

I am just a peon by many records in SCA. I was at Round Table when
Moonshadowe was announced as our new province. I have been playing in the
SCA for better then a decade, and have only one thing to say to all reply's
to this new status for our members of Moonshadowe...

VIVAT!!!! And LONG LIVE MOONSHADOWE!

I have met some of the greatest people in this game, here in Ansteorra, That
is not to say that I have not met wonderful people elsewhere as well. But
here in Ansteorra there truly are quite a few fantastic artisans, bards,
fighters, archers, cooks, etc. Those being in both classes of the lower
classes and those that sit the various thrones that serve our Kingdom.
Everyone that I have met here, has either found their niche in the SCA or is
avidly searching for what they can do to enrich our illustrious Kingdom.

There can be quite a few posts on here to voice opinion, and everyone is
entitled to one. When those opinions become so derrogatory that they border
on offensive, I tend to wonder if maybe we have begun to lose the idea of
what SCA was based on. The re-enactment of the middle ages. Whether anyone
agrees with Kingdom or not about the creation of a province is beside the
point. If there were provinces in era, then it is our responsibility to
incorporate that into our re-enactment. Was the SCA not created for that
very reason? There is many times that I see a topic posted that does deserve
debate. This was not a topic that deserved debate. What is done is done.
Whether or not it is agreed upon by every single citizen of the known world
is beside the point.

If Vivats cannot be offered to the wonderful people of Ansteorra's new
province by their friends and peers, then nothing needs posting. If opinions
about such a group recieving that honor need be expressed then those
opinions need be expressed in a constructive manner some place else other
then a public forum. In my opinion, the proper venue to express such
opinions should be to those that make those decisions of the creation of
provinces. That to my knowledge, would be Kingdom and BOD, not the general
populace at large.

I personally feel that the Province of Moonshadowe have an exemplary
populace that are always willing to jump in and instruct or work whenever
they are asked, and most time volunteer their assistance to begin with. Or
at least, that has been my experience with their populace. They deserve more
then ridicule in a public venue for the efforts that they do put forth.

As members of Ansteorra, we should all be behind our Kingdom's decision to
give Moonshadowe this status. We should support our King and Queen, as well
as our individual groups. That is pride in our Kingdom. That is where fealty
comes from. Granted not everyone must swear fealty, but in a feudilistic
society people used to be hung or drawn and quartered for disagreeing
publicly with their "rulers". I say thank goodness that we can't do that in
modern day. Our membership would definitely be minute, then.

The jist is, that even though we may not agree with the decision made by BOD
and Kingdom, we as members of Ansteorra should be proud of Moonshadowe for
going beyond Shire status. Not ridicule them for the choice of Province over
Barony. I think that shows caution and not cowardice. I think they have made
a very good decision. It is a step closer to that of a Barony, if they so
choose to seek that later. If they can maintain their strong membership as a
province, and then later decide to become a Barony, think of how strong a
Barony they could be. Their fortifications on the Northern Region would be
near unshakeable. That is what a Kingdom should be able to depend on from
its entire populace.

My mom always said, if you have nothing nice to say, then it is better to
say nothing at all. And always pick your battles. This was not a battle. It
was a statement of fact. That fact being, Moonshadowe is our newest Province
within the Kingdom of Ansteorra. So once again..

CONGRATS AND VIVATS, MOONSHADOWE! May your Province live long and prosper
and continue to enrich our great Stellar Kingdom of Ansteorra!

In service to Barony and Kingdom,
Lady Margeurite le Chanvierre