[Ansteorra] Re: Province

Beth Ellis killian at awesomenet.net
Mon Jan 23 15:40:16 PST 2006

Hmmm.  I find it interesting to see the various opinions on the province
issue.  Personally, I think it is a grand, wonderful experiment that is
bound to be successful, and it makes me want to move to Moonschadowe.

Different people have mentioned how the Society has changed over the years.
Frankly, I love most of those changes.  When I joined way back in 1979, the
main thing people seemed to do was fight
heavy weapons, or sit around a field and watch people fight heavy weapons.
Fun for the fighters, but kinda dull for everybody else after a while.  All
us non-fighters looked around for things that *we* could do to
contribute, and soon more and more of us joined the  A&S community, to the
point that it quickly became a prominent part of this kingdom. Pretty
wonderful if you ask me, but it was a change that some people didn't like.
And then a few years later rapier combat became an important part of life
for many Ansteorrans.  That was another change that lots of people didn't
like (to the point of almost splitting the kingdom), but in spite of all
that it's become a colorful and entertaining part of Ansteorra. Then there's
equestrian.  It too had some nay-sayyers, but it's devotees stuck with it
and it now adds tremendous panoply to what we do.
And in the last few years archery has become popular with lots of folks
because they enjoy it and it adds an interesting historical dimension to our
battles, but there are some people who don't like that  either.  It's here
to stay though, just like all the other things we do that were considered
controversial at one time.

My point is that change happens, and for the most part change - and the
refocusing that happens with it - has been a
great thing for Ansteorra.  It's given our kingdom a depth and breadth that
it most certainly did not have in the Old Days.  For at least some of us old
foggies, it's a fresh breath of air that keeps us interested and
participating.  Of course there are negative things too, but that's life. As
to the behavior issue, I think it's simply a reflection of current mundane
life.  People aren't being taught to be polite anymore, and so they come
into the SCA having to learn it.  So be it - we can teach our new people
proper manners just like we teach them all the other fun things that we do.

Corrinne