[Ansteorra] for the cooks...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 12 19:35:20 PST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:37 PM, Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya wrote:

> I've used Spanish saffron  before (the stamens of a specific
> crocus, dried).
> I've never seen/used Turkish Saffron before (similarly smelling
> dried..
> something? flowers? stems?). A friend just got back from Turkey,
> and brought
> me probably 2 cups of the stuff.
>
> What are the differences in taste?
> What exactly IS turkish saffron?
> Any suggestions on recipes?
>
> Curiously,
>
> Zubeydah

Zubeydah,

I'm afraid that that is very unlikely to be saffron. There are
various things that are sometimes sold as saffron, which aren't.
Take a look through these files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES
section of the Florilegium:
saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by
Tony Hill.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/saffron-art.html
saffron-msg       (63K)  6/10/04    Types of saffron. period uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/saffron-msg.html

If you are wanting to find some recipes which use saffron, you might
want to try the search engine on the top page of the site.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com