[Ansteorra] RE: Province

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 22:27:41 PST 2006

>From: "Paul DeLisle" <ferret at hot.rr.com>
>Hmm...no "brass hats"...I assume you mean "Nobility"; i.e. a Baron and/or a
>Baroness.
>Well, ya know...Feudalism *is* the WHOLE D**N CONCEPT behind the societal
>structure of the Middle Ages! (...Ohh, and the SCA, while we're at it!)
>Crown Lands are the *exception*, not the rule (or at least, they *used* to
>be...) But then, I'm an Old Fart..and I'm sure I "just don't understand"
>that people can't be recognized to get along, or co-operate, or grow up and
>act like adults when they want to have fun...

I know, tongue in cheek and all, however I will respond to this since I know
that there have been some who have felt less tongue in cheek about this
process.   As an outside observer (not having lived in Mooneschadowe in many
years) I have to say that it looks to me like their excellent ability to
cooperate and act like adults had a lot to do with why they chose this
particular path.

I believe that you are operating under a misapprehension.  Feudalism was not
the concept behind the societal structure of the Middle Ages, it was *a*
concept behind *some* societal structures in the Middle Ages.  And even when
it was the ideal, it was less often the reality.

I would have to say it's also not actually the concept behind the structure
of the SCA, even though many of the terms are tossed around, and clearly
framed on something resembling the Anglo-Norman feudal structure, since
there is no required military service, and the knights aren't duty bound to
the Lords, and those to higher ranked Lords before finally reaching the
crown.  Again, feudalism is more the ideal than the reality.

Finally, not all members of the SCA have the same view of what's the most
important aspect of how they chose to play the game.  The last time I
checked, this was generally viewed as a good thing.  For example, I am
fairly sure that most people don't share my focus on historical accuracy.
That's fine for them.  I can respect that those people who aren't so
interested can find their version of the Dream in what they are doing.  The
SCA is big enough that they can do their thing while I do mine.

By the same token, the Province status may not fit the traditional structure
that people think of when they think of a Baronial level group, but it has
been used elsewhere in the Society.  The fact that the populace of
Mooneschadowe felt that this was the best way for their group to go does not
make them any less Ansteorran than they would have been with a Baron and
Baroness, and I suspect that as a community they will continue to cheerfully
support the Crown and Kingdom as they always have.  I am extremely pleased
for them and wish them all the best.

Marc/Diarmaid