[Ansteorra] Province - sorta

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 14:42:59 PST 2006

Dearest HL Francesca,

All the things you had addressed are things that concern many of us deeply,
but are a totally different issue that needs to be addressed aside from the
Province.

The Province is a hot button and all the things you said are in sore need of
addressing, but they require our realm mates recognizing them and reacting
to them as a community.  If they get caught up in the Province discussion
they may be lost for a time, and seeing the state of things, that would be
tragic.

I too have watched ladies struggling, and when I see it if I can't aid them
myself I ask one of my husband's squires to help them.  In fact it is one of
the things we insist upon in our household.  It was once taught SCA wide.
And it should be everyone's standard.  To those Ladies who do not
wish to be assisted, please take no offense, it is for the rest of us who I
believe are many.      Gentlemen or strong ladies please don't be afraid to
offer aid.  It is one of the basics the SCA was founded on, courtesy and
chivalry that is lacking in todays society.  If you encounter a Lady who
does not wish assistance, pleasantly wish her a good afternoon.  But please
do not make that the standard for the rest of us.  Most of us are warmed and
enchanted by offers of help.

As King Sir Daffyd once left a discussion with other nobles to help me and
my apprentice carry a basket to our car, that is what should be the
standard.

Hospitality was once a great virtue.  To ask a gentle out of the sun, to
offer them a drink.  To carry water to the fighting field, to send a plate
of food to someone who looked hungry but you didn't know.  Handing largess
to an artisan or someone who has spent their afternoon cleaning the privy
for all of us to use.  It used to be taught that these were the great joys
of the SCA, to love, to recognize, to cherish, to nurture.  That should be
our focus at events, not gossiping about others,
not talking about the latest movie.  You can do all that at home and invite
whom you please, events are for everyone not just a select few.

Each crown tries to bring it's own strength and beauty to a reign and to the
Kingdom.  Some special way to recognize and uplife the people that they
serve.  But when that service is forgotten and it becomes a contest of
pushing aside the objectives, graces, and creativity that those before them
brought forth with love.  What have we to hold up as examples?

We are fortunate in that we have a King and Queen, Peers and Nobles, Lords
and Ladies, even children who remember that the SCA was about recreating the
middle ages, not as they were with plague and death, but as they should have
been from idealistic  even romantic viewpoints.

The only way to address the issues that you bring forth is for you, and me,
and those that care about these things to attend events, project love and
joy at those we meet.  Feel honest joy for those who are awarded
recognition, applaud the good accomlishments of others, be they friend or
foe, and leave the insta win, envy, frustration, and bad manners of the 21st
Century where they belong.  At home in the closet with our mundane clothes.

And further dear Lady, do not apologize.  You had the courage to say what
needs saying.  In fact if you put it on a billboard at the back of each
revel hall, I would be the one handing you the hammer and nails to hang it
up.

Cheers.  Perhaps it is just a cycle that has an up side as well as a down, I
seriously hope so.

Larissa - believer in the dream since 1980