[Ansteorra] Provinces, a clarification

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Mon Jan 23 19:09:43 PST 2006

Actually, Milady, you have it completely backwards.

I will admit, that my *original* assumption was that *either*, Kingdom was
worried that (to quote you) "a 'hat race' would tear this group apart"; or
that, indeed, for some reason, the group was "not capable" of becoming a
Barony.
Several subsequent posts have laid those assumptions to rest; but have
raised an even more disturbing one.

My new concern is that (from what others have stated) that they were
*eminently* capable of being a Barony, yet they *deliberately* chose a
modern, egalitarian model; instead of a Medieval (or even Rennaissance) one.
This bothers me, on several levels.

Now, I admit, this is an assumption...but, IMHO, we gather together in the
SCA to enjoy the *differences* between the Modern, Mundane world, and a
Medieval/Rennaissance model (choose your favorite one; but Feudalism is the
accepted standard.)

This group fought (and won), an argument *against* the Medieval model, in
preference to a Modern one.
This appears to lay the onus not only on the originating group, but on the
Kingdom Leadership that allowed it.

I continue to be disturbed, and disappointed.

Alden