[Ansteorra] RE: Province

Robin Lindsey & William Willett moiranliam at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 17:10:45 PST 2006

I'll snip...

> Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:11:26 -0600
> From: "Paul DeLisle" <ferret at hot.rr.com>
> Subject: RE: [Ansteorra] Re: Province
> To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>

> Shadowlands (the Shadowlands I remember, anyway) was, for many, many
years,
> far-and-away large-enough to become a Barony...but their population was
> transient. They didn't have the stable leadership necessary to generate
(and
> maintain) a Baron(ess); and so, they stayed the largest Shire in Ansteorra
> for a very long time.

There are places with transient populations that are Baronies.  Palatine
Barony of the Far West, in the West Kingdom, which is 90% military and
located mundanely in Japan, Korea, and Guam.  They hold a coronet tourney
every six months, and when you step down you become a member of the Order
of the Leaping Dolphin, and earn your AoA if you didn't already have it.
In April, it's an A&S competition, in October, a heavy wepons competition.
Yes, it's a lot of turnover, but when people are only there for 3-4 years
typically, it's kind of expected. Does make it fun though.  There is one
other Palatine Barony, the Barony of Allyshia, also in the West Kingdom.

This tidbit of info brought to you by:

Moira
Member of the Order of the Leaping Dolphin *grin*