[Ansteorra] All this talk about Provinces and Palatine Baronies....

herrdetlef at aol.com herrdetlef at aol.com
Wed Jan 25 07:03:12 PST 2006

Let's see what I can remember:

Province = next step up from a shire, parallel to a barony, but without a baronial court
Crown Barony = a barony of which the Crown (king and queen) are Baron and Baroness...an example is the Crown Barony of the Bridge in the East Kingdom (http://www.baronyofthebridge.eastkingdom.org/)
Dominion = clueless, but the Dominion of Myrkfaelin (http://www.lightlink.com/myrkies/) is in New York (I guess East Kingdom)
Barony Marche = again, relatively clueless, but I would believe this to be a barony established in a remote or border region (I think the Debatable Lands is such a group...not sure)
March = If I remember correctly, The Steppes was founded as a March.......again being a shire established in a remote or border region (and The Steppes was the second SCA group founded in Texas, after the Stargate which, according to corpora, automatically became a barony because it was the first group founded in the state)
Crown Principality = a territorial principality of which the Crown (king and queen) are prince and princess.  (Do the crown prince and crown princess of that kingdom become the territorials of such a principality?) Cunnan reports that a crown principality is a kind of incipient principality that doesn't quite have the numbers or the level of activity required for a full-fledged principality, it cannot create armigerous awards, etc...and instead of a Prince and Princess, it is ruled by a Viceroy and Vicereine
Crown Province = <scratches head>  although......I have a fuzzy recollection of the SCA group in Manhattan being a Crown Province of some kind....(I just found it......they are the Crown Province of Ostgardr, and their website is www.ostgardr.org!)
Palatine Barony = a barony whose baron and baroness are chosen, not by polling and the will of the Crown, but by some kind of tournament

SURELY there is a link somewhere on sca.org that lists the different kinds of groups allowed, and what their natures are...the best one I've seen right now is on Cunnan, at http://cunnan.sca.org.au/wiki/Groups.

I've gotta run!  I'm late for class, and I"m sure my students are getting restless!

Hope this helps, and I hope I didn't cause more confusion than before!

Detlef