[Ansteorra] re: All this talk about Provinces and Palatine Baronies....

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:14:59 PST 2006

>...Palatine Barony = a barony whose baron and baroness are chosen, not by
>polling and the will of the >Crown, but by some kind of tournament...

Ok, "Palatine" (in the real world) means a place ruled by by someone with
all the rights, powers, and freedoms of a true monarch, but is, at least on
paper, answerable to the real King.  So I can see where it might be useful
for SCA groups far away from their main kingdom (and why, based on SCA
traditions of selecting its monarchs through a trial of combat, but does the
Palatine Baron have all the rights of an SCA King?

Marc/Diarmaid