[Ansteorra] It ain't the heat (was RE: heat map kvetching)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 20:23:54 PDT 2006

At 08:23 PM 7/16/2006, you wrote:

>I cannot even imagine what 117 is like.  I think my hottest ever was my
>last week in San Angelo where it went to 106 or 107 three days.
>
>Be careful everyone, remember lots of water and sunscreen.  I know that
>people here and north of here use inside facilities for practice in the
>winter, does anyone use an inside facility for practice in the summer?
>
>Susan

The problem is that if you're using a practice facility that is
significantly different from the conditions you'll actually be fighting in,
then you'll be even *less* ready for them.

If, for example, you do all your summer practicing in an air-conditioned
gym, then you're going to be in *serious* trouble fighting at King's
Champion in early July, or Queen's in late July/early August. On the other
hand, if you're fighting outside all the time, then your body has a better
chance to adapt to the heat through the spring and early summer.

(Folks in the northern kingdoms hold their entire events indoors during the
winter months, because it's just not safe or practical to try fighting with
an inch of ice or a foot of snow on the ground.)

         -Tivar Moondragon