[Ansteorra] [SCA-AE] Chirurgeon Title Changes

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 09:39:25 PDT 2006

> Subject: {Spam?} Re: [SCA-AE] Chirurgeon Title Changes
> Noble Cousins!
>
> Greetings from Solveig! In a word barf! The legal committee
> should get itself stuffed. I don't know of anyone who was
> confused by the old titles. The new titles aren't really much
> of an improvement except for possibly the elimination of the
> word "master". Even then, "master" is a traditional and well
> understood guild rank.
>
> Yes, I am old enough to grow moss. Why not just go all the
> way to "first responder trainee", "first responder", and
> "first responder instructor"? Last I heard, the chiurginate
> is supposed to work under "first responder" rules regardless
> of mundane licenses or certifications held by individuals.
>
> GRUMP!
> Your Humble Servant
> Solveig Throndardottir
> Amateur Scholar

For the record, "What SHE said!" -- with the additional caveat that
mundane law trumps SCA regulation, and the last I knew it can be
actionable for a trained individual to function at less than their full
capacity (in some jurisdictions, esp. under something like the "Good
Samaritan" circumstances).

And to establish why I feel so strongly about this, consider the
following:  I've received more "first responder" training, and been such
a trainer at one time, than I currently care to remember.  No, I am not
fully current on certification, and never fully processed through the
SCA system -- but in an emergency situation, I am *still* a
"medically-trained first response resource".  I will defer to current
cert holders, I will follow guidance from medical doctors, nurses, EMT,
paramedic, etc. -- but I will not stand aside and do nothing if there is
not one such more currently trained person present.  That's how *I* was
trained...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen