[Ansteorra] SPAM-LOW: Re: [SCA-AE] Chirurgeon Title Changes

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 15:10:30 PDT 2006

Oh, drat.  I appear to have come across as something more / less than I
intended.

Thank you very much for the inside view on what happened with the title
structure. I'll note -- reasonably quietly, I hope -- that the final
impact is still dealing with fear of legal consequences, and in a manner
that I personally find distasteful.  (An old, sore subject for which I
again apologize for being a bit hasty in my response on the current set
of matters.)

Note that I was writing in reference to myself to a large extent, when
commenting upon the strictures of the office.  Caelin, I *have*
previously worked toward "normal" chirurgeon status, even if that was at
least five or six years ago, and very much appreciate the difficulties
we face as the SCA in presenting ourselves for the mundane context.

To restate from before, my generally-recognized certifications are
currently lapsed as far as expiration dates are concerned, for those
that actually have expirations (even the one that was based upon the
instructor's recognition instead of the individual students...)
Considering that my earliest formal training in first aid is four
decades old this fall, small wonder... I fully intend to get myself a
set of refreshers taken as soon as I can -- the recognized "state of the
art" changes, even within the courses offered by a single authority in
this field (AHA standards for number of compressions vs. rescue breaths,
for example, were updated at least three times in roughly ten years back
when I *was* renewing annually). I for one especially need to update my
knowledge on some of the equipment that has become more widely available
in the last ten years.  Even if it is not immediately to hand, knowing
that it may be somewhere on site could be a tremendous advantage for the
injured party.

As I am currently beyond the borders of Ansteorra, I'm planning to wait
a little while before trying the formal chirurgeon route again.  (Humid,
HUMID, western Pennsylvania... And my contract [currently] only runs
through the end of September.)  I *will* support the office in my way
whenever I can -- and sometimes I see that support as my bad old habits
of speaking out / up.

 Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

 Mike C. Baker
 Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com
 OR MCBaker216 at cs.com
    Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen