[Ansteorra] Blacksmithing q's

Ron Hardy rhemail at swbell.net
Fri Jun 2 20:32:58 PDT 2006

For those following this discussion let me explain. "Quenching"  is generally considered to be the cooling of hot metal to cool metal for a number of reasons. Sometimes quenching metal that is heated to red will harden it (assuming it has enough carbon content), sometimes it's just so you can handel it. The oil finish your talking about is sometimes used as a finish to keep the metal from rusting a bit and will help darken it some as well. On a decrotive piece, motor oil might be used. On an eating utinsel, edible oils might be used. It is a semi durable finish that can be repeated if nessary. It is much like seasoning an iron skillet before cooking your corn bread with it. The metal is heated to a low "black" heat and dipped in the oil or the oil is rubbed on until the piece stops smoking. If the piece is to hot the oil can and often does burst into flames- an oil fire. For general blacksmithing use water for cooling and then the oil if you want.

Fritz