[Ansteorra] Children

Sean Gulick sean at utig.ig.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 1 12:44:23 PDT 2006

I wholeheartedly agree with this post!  My sentiments exactly.

Gideon, father of two SCA children
(who seem to me to be responsible, however I always appreciate being
made aware of anything I should improve on, including parenting!)

> Wait a minute. On the one hand you're saying that "it takes a
> kingdom to
> raise a child" but on the other hand you seem to be objecting to
> parents
> who leave it to "the kingdom" to watch their kids.
>
> While I agree that the MoC isn't a babysitting service, it is *not*
> the
> responsibility of "the kingdom" (or "the village" for that matter)
> to raise
> kids; that's the parents' job.
>
> If parents are shirking their responsibility and letting kids run
> wild and
> cause problems, then it might be "the kingdom's" job to take the
> parents to
> task for being irresponsible--ask the unsupervised kid where their
> parents
> are and if they're not immediately available,then maybe the heralds
> should
> cry the camp to reunite the wayward parents with their kids; if the
> parents
> are being sufficiently irresponsible they should be asked to leave the
> site, etc.
>
>          -Tivar Moondragon
> father of three *responsible* SCA kids

_________________________
Dr. Sean P. S. Gulick
Research Associate
Institute for Geophysics
Jackson School of Geosciences
University of Texas at Austin
4412 Spicewood Springs Rd Bldg 600 Austin, Texas 78759
Phone: 512-471-0483, Fax: 512-471-0999
Email: sean at ig.utexas.edu
http://www.ig.utexas.edu/people/staff/sean/

"Honor the past,  live the present, create the future"