[Ansteorra] New Graphic site virus....

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 06:07:40 PDT 2006

I didn't open the attachment...just opened the email itself..it was enough.
  gwyneth

Michael Silverhands <silverhands at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Jun 13, 2006, at 10:06 PM, caladin wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the name of the virus, it came up in my mozilla
> preview pane and norton seems to
> be unaware of it.. I'd like to make a targeted scan,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Caladin

It's a new worm, which appeared yesterday morning. It exploits a
JavaScript vulnerability in Yahoo!Mail (i.e., it only affects you if
you are reading these messages using their web-based reader). It
doesn't appear to affect anyone else (i.e., if you are reading these
messages using Outlook [Windows] or Mail [Mac], etc.).

It carries its payload as an attachment. If you don't open the
attachment, it does nothing. If you delete it unread, it does
nothing. If you open the attachment *while using Yahoo!Mail*, then it
harvests your Yahoo!Mail address book and sends itself to everyone in
that list (and sends the list of addresses to a spammer). It makes
itself appear to be sent randomly from one of those known-good
addresses.

Here's more information about it:
(http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.yamanner@m.html)

Bottom line: all y'all, delete every message with the subject "New
Graphic Site", unread.

Michael Silverhands

http://mail.yahoo.com