[Ansteorra] Question about motifs in artwork

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 08:58:33 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

Susan's question is not a simple one to answer.

As an Recovering Herald, I must note that some images are expressly
protected. The laurel in SCA arms is used to designate a group and to
designate members of the order of the laurel. White belts, gold chains,
pelicans in their piety, red caps of maintenance, crowns, and coronets are
also expressly limited to specific peers.

To that short list, add historically and fictionally significant arms (the
Plantaganet lions, the French fleury, Pendragon's dragon), registered arms,
and registered badges.

As a Recovering Herald--with the emphasis on "Recovering"--I have to include
some caveats on badges:

1) Say Snorri Ravensbutt of Lochac has registered the couped tail-end of a
raven as a badge. Technically, it would be improper to adorn a sideless
surcoat with raven's tails. In practice, though, you have to ask yourself
how likely it is that you'll ever come across Snorri.

2) You *can* go check the on-line ordinary and armorial site
(http://oanda.sca.org/ ) for registered badges for every image on every
button or bit of embroidery that you think of using, but few non-Heralds are
this anal.

3) Custom can be more powerful in protecting images than the College of
Arms. If a local duke decides to use the image of a severed nose as his
badge and everyone in the area recognizes that image as his, the status of
that image as a badge is pretty meaningless.

You might also want to check the kingdom laws in your areas. These things
change. At one time, for example, the sumptuary laws of Atenveldt reserved
gold roweled spurs to Dukes.

For items like the thistle, the crane, and other similar honors, only the
registered version of the badge is protected. In theory.

In practice, custom is more powerful. In Artemisia, it was once (don't know
if this has changed) considered improper to wear a circlet if you weren't
entitled to wear a coronet. Similarly, in parts of Ansteorra it is
considered gauche to sport lions on your garb if you are not a Lion of
Ansteorra.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Micel yfel deth se unwritere.