[Ansteorra] children and events

Robin Craig robinec at cox.net
Mon Jun 5 16:18:57 PDT 2006

Hi!  I just wanted to remind parents that it is STILL a good idea to
teach kids Stranger Danger even at SCA events.

As much as I hate to admit it, even if someone is wearing a tunic and
at an event, they can still be inappropriate with children.    And
other strangers may not realize that something inappropriate is
happening if they assume that person is someone the child knows!

Yes, it is rare, but there have been instances of kids being 'abused'
by strangers at SCA events.

Please please please, do not let your kids run around unsupervised.

Even at events where they can 'earn' coins by doing chores or where
there is a treasure hunt.
At a recent event where there was such a situation, I was happy to
see many of the kids were in pairs!  The buddy system works well with
older kids.  However, younger children should always have an adult
'buddy', even if it is mom or dad.

My two cents
-Robin Anderson of Ross
Past MOC of BrynGwlad and soon (very soon!) to-be mommy