[Ansteorra] A new bar is set

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 06:42:21 PDT 2006

Salut Cozyns,

For those of you who had the misfortune of missing the Lysts at Castleton,
my profoundest sympathies and my equally profound envy.

Allow me to explain. The sympathy is for your misfortune in not having been
in attended at the first ever SCA joust.

Oh sure, the processions were spectacular. I don't mean to detract
needlessly from the rest of the event activities. As host at this event to a
group of seven SCA-uninitiated folk, I found that the mounted procession
provided a particularly grand and colorful display. And the fighting--both
mounted and unmounted--was grandly chivalrous, joyously ostentatious,
and--despite the 100F weather and 95+% humiditywildly energetic. I apologize
for sounding jaded, but I *expected* all of this from an Ansteorran event.

Ah, but the jousting.

Pardon my exclamation points, but O! MY! GOD!! The lunging run of the
horses, the gleam of steel in the late afternoon sun, and the shattering of
lance tips impacting shield or breastplate raised goosebumps even on jaded
old knights like me, drew face splitting grins, and generally thrilled the
galleries.

For those of you who missed the Lysts at Castleton: O how I envy you. You
who have yet to experience your first SCA joust, Lord, what a glorious
thrill awaits you.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace