[Ansteorra] The Lysts at Castleton

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Mon Jun 12 22:42:32 PDT 2006

Greetings all,

Thank you for your kind words.  As the saying goes, many hands make
light work.  In this case, we had the sponsorships of the Baronies of
Bjornsborg, Bryn Gwlad, Loch Soillier and Stargate.  I would like to
thank each of Their Excellencies for joining us in our effort to
experiment with a new format.  Our goal was to showcase some of the new
things that Ansteorra has brought to the known world.  Before I get to
the results, I would like to commend some folks for their exceptional
efforts to help out with the event.

First to Don Shamino for the gracious use of his exceptional site, it
made it easy to set the stage upon which the event played out.
 From the early planning stages Master Eule, HG Ulsted, and Sir Gideon,
were instrumental in helping set and implement the format.
Lady Elizabeth Crouchet for putting together an excellent webpage
Lady Mariah for helping with the logistics of the event.
HE Katya for heading up gate, along with Lessa, William, Tristan and
everyone else who sat gate.
Mistress Tessa and Lord Alfred who coordinated a host of water bearers
that allowed us to hardly notice the warm (103 degree) day.
Lady Cristyana for coordinating sanitation and helping set up.
Soon to be Mistress Clara for a wonderful luncheon, and Mistress Gwyneth
for organizing the pot luck.
Sir Morgan and soon to be Sir Tomas for filling the role as King of Arms
as well as all the heralds who reminded us of what a herald is supposed
to do.
HL Gerald and all the musicians that kept us entertained when the action
of the field quieted down.
Mistress Neassa and HG Cateau for keeping track of all the action.
I am forgetting to many good gentles who pitched it when ever they saw
that they could lend a hand.  For those I have not named, it was not
because your services were not noticed, but simply poor memory on my
part.  I would like to thank you again for helping out.

As to the results. All told, we had 12 combatants on the mounted crest
portion, with three of them (Sir Gideon, Lady Bridget and Centurion
Giotto) demonstrating the heavy mounted combat.  We had a total of 25 on
the chivalric field and and an additional 9 taking part in the
jousting.  Of those, we had 5 who competed on all three fields.  And of
those 5, four were members of the chivalry.  And to give proper credit,
Lady Calena took the mounted crest combat field, Sir Henri Le Hibou took
the jousting field and Centurion Giotto took the foot combat, as well as
overall.  Vivat to all those who took part and earned renown upon the field.

Finally, on sunday morning a fine challenge course was hosted by our
most recent King's Lancer Lady Bridget and after many vigorous runs
Lancer Lorraine Frasier emerged victorious to claim the title of King's
Lancer for the second time.  Congratulations to Lancer Lorraine, who I'm
sure will serve Their Majesties well.

Mistress Tessa has requested that I include the following:

Waterbearing at Castleton... ahhhh, how lovely a way to spend the day
among the shade trees, watching and listening to some of the most
intriguing and alive aspects of the SCA to be found in Kingdom.
Combatants, horses, banners, viewing stands, heraldic introductions and
challenges;
musicians, sideboards, visiting with friends.
And how about the incredible generosity and hospitality of Don Shamino
about his Castleton properties...

To Sir Alexis, I thank you for asking me to administer the Waterbearing
Station. Lord Alfred, thank *you* for the generosity of the loan of your
barony's equipment and your devoted time.
To the many youth in attendance who offered their services as Waterbearers:
Rose, Thorull, Bailey, Ambroglio, Lockland, Artorius, and young Cynric
for whom it was his 1st event.
To these Youth, Your energies and time are appreciated as greatly as
your attitude of service.
On site also volunteering as Waterbearers were
Lacy Coleetha newly arrived from the West, Mistress Gwynneth, and Aliena
the Master WaterBearer.
To Lord Slovaczek who loaned Bordermarch igloo barrels and aprons, thank
you.   To loved ones from Bordermarch who came along with me to present
the refreshments and hydrate the fighters all day: Lady Elisabeth and
Lord Santiago of Green Mountain Keep, my beloved spouse Count Simonn,
and our son Lord Zain Amber-Gate, thank you all.
Unto Don Shamino, you are amazing!  Thank you for everything you do to
make the dream real !

Peace and Grace to all,
Countess Tessa

With regards,
Sir Alexis
Event Steward
p.s. For those who weren't able to make it, you might want to ask
someone who did about the exploding skull of doom ;-)
p.p.s. I was a bit busy during the day, so I was not able to take any
pictures.  If you might be able to share any photos of the event I would
be quite grateful.
p.p.p.s.  The lost and found is being headed up by Master Eule, but if
you left something, please drop me a line and we will try to get it to
you if it was left behind.