[Ansteorra] Question about motifs in artwork

Susan catmafia at hughes.net
Thu Jun 15 10:44:00 PDT 2006

Thank you so much for the information.  This one has baffled me recently
with seeing things in a different kingdom, what little heraldic
knowledge only seems to confuse me as opposed to making things clear.
How to address you fall into the same realm, as your name reminds me of
Seargents in the Army who's last name is Major.  I do appreciate your
assistance greatly and have to ask, do they have support groups for
recovering heralds?

With various items, such as lillies, iris, swans, and cranes-is it
correct to use them as long as you aren't using them in a manner used by
someone nearby or the kingdom?  I understand with heraldry there must be
3 points of distinction, or prior approval; but does this apply to
general artwork as well?  Distinctive items such as giraffe, turtles,
and the like are usually items that are reserved to a single person in
an area-somewhat like distinctive names-it isn't the rule but the
practice.  Reguarding various artistic endeavors, I have yet to enter an
A&S competition, but do these same things apply?  Say, one is to make
something with a pelican in its piety on it, this is ok isn't it?  It
would then usually be used as a gift to a friend who is a Pelican or
donated to the crown for regalia.

Thanks for the info, it is hard for the non-heralds to keep strait,
Susan the Curious