[Ansteorra] Squire belts (was: Sable Thistle...etc.)

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 17 10:27:40 PDT 2006

Salut Cozyns,

As the heralds have noted, paraphernalia for squires, students, apprentices,
and proteges are  established entirely by custom. I know of no kingdom laws
that specify these items, though I suppose it's happened by now somewhere.

As for Ciard's comment about colored bits of leather, I always identify
squires by their red beIts. Spurs and silver chains on squires always looked
a bit pretentious to me. I know of only two knights (Corwin and Anton) who
give silver chains and spurs to their squires. I've occasionally heard
dissatisfied grumbles about this particular squire coterie from purists, but
I've not yet seen anyone openly take offense.

Several knights I've known (I among them) have typically taken would-be
squires first as men-at-arms. The agreement with a man-at-arms is less
binding than the fealty I ask of a squire. Most of us gave our men-at-arms
liveried black belts, but a few I've known gave blue belts. I've not yet met
a squire in a blue belt (not that I doubt Sir Morgan's observation).

I always wondered, as Sir Morgan mused, why the devil anyone would want to
impersonate a squire. I mean, where are the perks? Wearing a red belt just
ups the odds of your getting chewed out by a knight if you're seen not being
sufficiently helpful at an event.

Which brings me to the point of the red belts. They identify squires on the
fighting field; red baldrics identify the MAA's students. This helps members
of the Chivalry. Those in red belts and baldrics have identified themselves
as desiring assistance in their dedicated quest for recognition by the
Chivalry. I've met a couple of folks over the years who were squires with no
intention of ever achieving that goal. Their argument is one of correct
re-creation. In most eras squires were just servants and shield bearers with
no hope of ever attaining a higher station. So it's historically accurate.
Big deal. Bubonic plague is historically accurate, too. Squires with no
ambition are a USELESS PAIN IT THE TUCHUS.

Yes the white belt and unadorned metal chain are reserved for knights. Spurs
are another can of worms. In Atenveldt, the knighting ceremony included some
verbiage about only knights being allowed with the king's blessing to "ride
out" (translation: ride into battle). By custom, this implied that only
knights should wear spurs. For a time, Atenveldt had a set of sumptuary laws
that included specifications that only knights could wear *roweled* spurs
and only dukes could wear gold roweled spurs. I objected at the time
because, historically, gold spurs were the mark of a knight.

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Micel yfel deh se unwritere.
		--AElfric of York