[Ansteorra] tanning rabbit pelts

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 17 21:26:32 PDT 2006

If you end up eating the rabbits, here is a Florilegium file which
might be of interest:
rabbit-dishes-msg (59K) 10/15/04    Period rabbit and hare recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/rabbit-dishes-msg.html

I'm not sure if there is a special technique needed to tan the pelts
and keep the skin or not. I do know that in part it depends upon the
particular animal. For instance, deer pelts do not keep their hair
and if tanned they will continue to shed and you end up with loose
hair everywhere. Since they sell rabbit pelts with the hair on them,
I assume that this is not a problem with properly tanned rabbit pelts.

There are various types of tanning: vegetable tanning, brain tanning,
chrome tanning and oil tanning. Some methods may be better for
keeping the fur on the skin than others.

Depending upon what you wish to do with the skins, you might want to
look through some of the files on leather in the CRAFTS section of
the Florilegium such as:
leather-bib       (18K) 11/ 1/94    Bibliography on leather and
leather goods.
leather2-bib       (9K)  6/11/99    Leather bibliography by Vilyehm
the Merchant
leather-msg       (86K)  7/25/04    Working with leather. tanning.
lea-tanning-msg   (58K)  7/22/04    How to tan leather. Types of
tanning.
lea-tooling-msg   (55K)  6/26/05    Leather tooling. decorating leather.

merch-leather-msg (18K) 10/10/96    Leather merchants and sources.

Although this last file is aimed at reviewing merchants who sell
leather, many of them also sell leather tanning supplies.

Looking at the lea-tanning-msg file, I did find this message which
specifically talks about tanning rabbit skin and keeping the fur.
There may be other more detailed messages on this, but this was the
first I came across. Some of the books reviewed in this and other
files might also be useful if you need more complete descriptions.

Stefan