[Ansteorra] Spurs (was:Squire belts (was: Sable Thistle...etc.)

Burke McCrory bmccrory at tax.ok.gov
Thu Jun 22 13:07:50 PDT 2006

At 12:29 PM 6/22/2006, you wrote:

You know this conversation (or one just like it) comes up about once
every year or so and it always ends the same way.  I think that it is
a side effect of a more basic question.  Is the SCA an organization
that re-creates the cultures and lifestyle of a select segment of
Western European life in the period (600 AD to 1600 AD) or is it an
organization that re-enacts that period?
The question is more relevant that some might think.  The SCA was and
is an outgrowth of a costume party and has been for many decades a
re-creation organization that uses the afore mentioned period as its
inspiration.  This has allowed us to mix both period aspects and
modern conveniences together.  It also allowed us to take certain
medieval concepts and organizations and create our own
equivalents.  However over the last few years I have seen an
acceleration of what I will call an attempt to transition us into a
historical reenactment group, where everything has to be period.  I
am not saying that this is universal but the trend does appear to be
there.  So that having been said this discussion about knighthood and
its symbols really can be boiled down to the following.  If we are
using the period organizations and concepts as inspiration to
re-create a noble order then the customs and symbols of the SCA's
Chivalry (a 40 year old order I might point out) are just fine.  But
if we are actually trying to mimic (as in reenact) the period
organizations then we need to choose which one we will re-enact and
completely adjust our symbology and customs as would be appropriate.

Burke