[Ansteorra] Land and Title . . . (Was Squires, Spurs and belts, OH MY!)

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Sun Jun 25 14:59:40 PDT 2006

At 08:17 PM 6/24/2006, you wrote:
>At 02:32 PM 6/24/2006, you wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
> >DANGER, DANGER, TROUBLE MAKING QUESTION AHEAD . . .
> >The SCA doesn't strip people of "land and title" do they? I've personally
> >never heard of it, although BOD banishment would kind of seem to effectively
> >do just that. What I'm wondering is, has there ever been a case when a
> >Monarch decided that someone was so disgracing their Order, Coronet,
> >Peerage, etc. that he actually stripped the person of that rank/title?
>

>Corpora says that the Board can strip someone of their peerage or lesser
>awards (http://sca.org/docs/govdocs.pdf and scroll down to page 29 for the
>details.) Under most circumstances, I expect the Crown of a given kingdom
>would need to make such a recommendation, otherwise the Board is unlikely
>to be aware of the problem. Checking Ansteorran law, it says that a Court
>of Chivalry is required  before such a recommendation could come from
>Ansteorra (http://seneschal.ansteorra.org/forms/Jan2006_Ansteorra_Law2.pdf
>and scroll down to page 30.)
>
>Although I'm reasonably sure that Courts of Chivalry *have* been called in
>the SCA, I don't think one has ever been called in Ansteorra.
>
>          -Tivar Moondragon

Tivar,

In the last 25 years there has only been one formal court of chivalry
in Ansteorra.  If my memory serves me there may have been (I can
think of two cases) a few courts of chivalry under older rules held
in the early days of the kingdom.  There have been a number of Courts
of the Crown or Courts of Inquiry which are a less formal proceedings
held over the years.  There have been a few rather tense circles that
could have appeared as some kind of court but these were internal
matters of the circle in question.   Of course there was one special
court held in the ancient past as we both remember.

Burke