[Ansteorra] To All GW Rapier Fighters & Marshals

james at crouchet.com james at crouchet.com
Tue Mar 7 10:59:50 PST 2006

This is information you will need if you are fighting rapier at Gulf War. Sorry, I know no one
likes to read an email over two paragraphs but there is more info than will fit in that space.
You need to know this stuff so just grit your teeth and read it through.

INSPECTION
If you are a fighter you need to be inspected before you may fight at Gulf War. Each set of
armor you wear must be inspected once for the war. You will not need to be re-inspected
unless you change that armor (e.g. a new helm or gorget) or damage it. These inspections
MUST be done at inspection point; we will NOT do them at the field.

All weapons must be inspected before they may be used. Any weapons you use must be re-
inspected each day. These inspections can be done at inspection point or, TIME
PERMITTING, by Ansteorran marshals at the field.

Before each battle or tournament the marshals and your fellow fighters should look you over
to be sure you have your armor properly in place. Please help one another with this.

We WILL be checking authorizations and IDs during inspection at GW, so BRING YOUR
PHOTO ID (driver's license) AND AUTHORIZATION CARD TO INSPECTION.  Also
remember, WE WILL NOT ISSUE ANY NEW FIGHTER AUTHORIZATIONS AT GULF
WAR. Get authorized before you go.

Inspection point will be in the Ansteorran Pavilion -- At the corner of Queen's Hwy and
Ansteorra Way, behind the HUGE Ansteorran gates -- from 8:00am to 9:00am and from
1:00pm to 2:00pm daily starting on Monday. I expect this timing will work well given the
schedule of rapier activities.

If we catch you on the field without being authorized and inspected the consequences will be
dire.

SCHEDULE
You can get a copy of the GW schedule here: http://www.gulfwars.org/schedule.html

NEW STUFF
Ansteorra is not accustomed to blade grabbing, but it WILL be allowed when heavy blades
are in use, and that includes the war point melees. Don't be surprised or upset if an opponent
grabs your blade. I recommend you not try it unless you have practiced it and you are sure
you can do it safely. You will find the rules for blade grabbing in the corporate rules
(http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/rapier/rapier_rules.pdf)

There will be some 45" blades on the field. Ansteorra's rule is that you will not take a longer
blade on the field than those with which you have practiced. So, if you plan to take a long
blade on the field, practice with it now.

Currently, Cut and Thrust is only being allowed for classes. That means it is not legal for
open sparing. Personally, I hope this changes but until it does we need to follow the rule.

RULES AND CONVENTIONS
You will find the conventions for fighting rapier at GW 15 here:
http://www.gulfwars.org/fighting.html#rapier

You are responsible for following those rules; read them and know them. If you have a
question, ask. If you violate them, saying you did not know will not help you.

Marshals, you REALLY need to know this stuff. Take a moment to read these conventions or
you are likely to be more of a problem than a help.

MARSHAL IN CHARGE
I, Don Christian Doré will be the marshal in charge of Ansteorran rapier for Gulf War. Don
Avery Shaw will be my second in command and my emergency replacement. If you have a
rapier related problem or a question the other marshals cannot answer, find one of us.

FINAL WORD
If the marshals see a problem they may pull you off the field to resolve it. The quickest way to
make a small problem a very big one is to argue with a marshal when he tells you to leave
the field. Once off the field we can discuss the situation, hear your side and find the solution
that is best for everyone.

Don Doré, Ansteorran MIC for Gulf War